- a person or thing that activates.
- Chemistry, Biochemistry. a catalyst.
- any impurity in a mineral that causes luminescence.Compare inhibitor(def 3).
- Orthodontics. a removable appliance, usually of hard plastic, that is worn in the mouth instead of a fixed appliance to help align the teeth and improve the relationship of the lower jaw to the upper.
Origin of activator
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for activator
They may have been, and the use of the activator may have been extorted from one of them.Temple Trouble
Henry Beam Piper
Finally, he poked the activator bar, and watched as the machine spat out tape.The Players
Everett B. Cole
The Black Doctor closed his eyes wearily and flipped an activator switch.Contamination Crew
Alan Edward Nourse
Nargyll wants to move your ship into one of the sheds, but the activator key's gone.
- An agent that renders another substance active or accelerates a process or reaction.
- The fragment produced by chemical cleavage of a proactivator that induces the enzymatic activity of another substance.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.