- pertaining to, or productive of, a form that indicates an agent or agency.
- (in case grammar) pertaining to the semantic role or case of a noun phrase that indicates the volitional or primary causer of the action expressed by a verb.
- an agentive word or suffix.
- the agentive case.
Origin of agentive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (in some inflected languages) denoting a case of nouns, etc, indicating the agent described by the verb
- (of a speech element) indicating agency``-er'' in ``worker'' is an agentive suffix
- the agentive case
- a word or element in the agentive case
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012