- a Briticism.
- the state of being English; characteristic English quality.
- a word, idiom, or characteristic feature of the English language occurring in or borrowed by another language.
- any custom, manner, idea, etc., characteristic of the English people.
Origin of Anglicism
1635–45; < Medieval Latin Anglic(us) English + -ism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anglicism
- a word, phrase, or idiom peculiar to the English language, esp as spoken in England
- an English attitude, custom, etc
- the fact or quality of being English
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for anglicism
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper