[uh-thawr-i-tair-ee-uh n, uh-thor-]
- favoring complete obedience or subjection to authority as opposed to individual freedom: authoritarian principles; authoritarian attitudes.
- of or relating to a governmental or political system, principle, or practice in which individual freedom is held as completely subordinate to the power or authority of the state, centered either in one person or a small group that is not constitutionally accountable to the people.
- exercising complete or almost complete control over the will of another or of others: an authoritarian parent.
- a person who favors or acts according to authoritarian principles.
Origin of authoritarian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anti-authoritarian
Sony Pictures Entertainment has put out some of the most countercultural, anti-authoritarian movies of the past century.Sony: Hollywood’s Most Subversive Studio Under Attack
December 23, 2014
The Obama years have been marked by a sharp turn toward anti-individualist, anti-authoritarian philosophy.Obama’s Shift Toward Communitarianism
June 30, 2013
At its core, the Republican Party is a bottom-up, anti-authoritarian working- and middle-class party.Republicans Push Back as Rove Aims to Appoint Himself Kingmaker
February 10, 2013
The seventies were an anti-authoritarian or at least egalitarian period.Eric Asimov Talks About New Book “How to Love Wine”
October 20, 2012
And pushing the envelope, as she always did, with a playful, anti-authoritarian attitude—up to a point.Lynn Sherr: Sally Ride’s Heroic and Trailblazing Life as an Astronaut
July 24, 2012
- favouring, denoting, or characterized by strict obedience to authority
- favouring, denoting, or relating to government by a small elite with wide powers
- despotic; dictatorial; domineering
- a person who favours or practises authoritarian policies
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for anti-authoritarian
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper