- of or relating to a centralized government that does not tolerate parties of differing opinion and that exercises dictatorial control over many aspects of life.
- exercising control over the freedom, will, or thought of others; authoritarian; autocratic.
- an adherent of totalitarianism.
Origin of totalitarian
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anti-totalitarian
He would later say that the war pitted the anti-totalitarian left against the anti-imperialist left.My Friend and Mentor, Christopher Hitchens
December 16, 2013
- of, denoting, relating to, or characteristic of a dictatorial one-party state that regulates every realm of life
- a person who advocates or practises totalitarian policies
from totality + -arian
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for anti-totalitarian
1926, first in reference to Italian fascism, formed in English on model of Italian totalitario "complete, absolute, totalitarian," from the Italian cognate of English total (adj.). The noun is recorded from 1938.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper