- having or showing little or no emotion: apathetic behavior.
- not interested or concerned; indifferent or unresponsive: an apathetic audience.
Origin of apathetic
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. unfeeling, impassive, cool. 2. uninterested, unconcerned.
1. emotional. 2. concerned.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for apathetically
Reluctantly, apathetically, the Leopard Woman's men got to their feet.The Leopard Woman
Stewart Edward White
She waved her hand to them apathetically and rowed slowly on.A Spirit in Prison
The little man paused in his painful progress to look on apathetically.The Trail of '98
Robert W. Service
Miss Carter listened at first apathetically, then with growing interest.Betty Wales Senior
She opened her eyes and fixed them apathetically on the strong helpful face.Flamsted quarries
Mary E. Waller
- having or showing little or no emotion; indifferent
C18: from apathy + pathetic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for apathetically
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Lacking interest or concern; indifferent.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.