- the dignity or office of an apostle.
- Roman Catholic Church.
- the dignity and office of the pope as head of the Apostolic See.
- the mission of bishops in their dioceses.
- an organization of the laity devoted to the mission of the Church.
Origin of apostolate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for apostolate
Moreover, his passion for his apostolate had at once returned to him.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
The wide unfulfilled provinces of his apostolate ever called him on.The Preacher and His Models
Your own religious sense has taught you that there ought to be an Apostolate in the Church.Loss and Gain
John Henry Newman
Oh perfect morals, and worthy of martyrdom or the apostolate!The Ruins
C. F. [Constantin Francois de] Volney
He must take up his apostolate, be ready should need arise to face martyrdom.Romain Rolland
- the office, authority, or mission of an apostle
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012