- Classical Mythology. a member of the band of men who sailed to Colchis with Jason in the ship Argo in search of the Golden Fleece.
- (sometimes lowercase) a person in quest of something dangerous but rewarding; adventurer.
- a person who moved to California during the gold rush of 1849.
- (lowercase) paper nautilus.
Origin of Argonaut
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for argonauts
It was the name of the ship that Jason and the Argonauts sailed in to liberate the Golden Fleece against impossible odds.The True Story Behind Operation ‘Argo’ to Rescue Americans From Iran
Antonio Mendez, Matt Baglio
September 17, 2012
Not a vestige of the Argonauts ever turned up; not a sound came out of the waste.Lord Jim
When the quest of the Argonauts was ended, Orpheus returned to his own land of Thrace.A Book of Myths
A similar interpretation is possible of the expedition of the Argonauts.Christianity As A Mystical Fact
Then the Argonauts came out into the open sea—the Black Sea.A Book of Discovery
Margaret Bertha (M. B.) Synge
All signs of life except those of other argonauts disappeared.The Trail of the Goldseekers</p>
- Greek myth one of the heroes who sailed with Jason in quest of the Golden Fleece
- a person who took part in the Californian gold rush of 1849
- another name for the paper nautilus
C16: from Greek Argonautēs, from Argō the name of Jason's ship + nautēs sailor
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for argonauts
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Naut means “sailor” in Greek and is the root of our word nautical. Today, the word is used to coin terms such as astronaut and aquanaut.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.