- an act of arranging; state of being arranged.
- the manner or way in which things are arranged: a tactful arrangement of the seating at dinner.
- a final settlement; adjustment by agreement: The arrangement with the rebels lasted only two weeks.
- Usually arrangements. preparatory measures; plans; preparations: They made arrangements for an early departure.
- something arranged in a particular way: a floral arrangement; the arrangement of chairs for the seminar.
- the adaptation of a composition to voices or instruments, or to a new purpose.
- a piece so adapted.
- final arrangements, the planning or scheduling of funeral services and burial: Final arrangements are still pending.
Origin of arrangement
Examples from the Web for arrangement
Reprinted by arrangement with The Penguin Press, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company.Thank Congress, Not LBJ for Great Society
Julian Zelizer, Scott Porch
January 4, 2015
King agreed to this arrangement but did not reveal it to his followers.Dr. King Goes to Hollywood: The Flawed History of ‘Selma’
January 2, 2015
He had made an arrangement with Barclay H. Warburton, owner of the Philadelphia Evening Telegraph.The Stacks: H.L. Mencken on the 1904 Baltimore Fire
October 4, 2014
I was making a fair amount of mistakes trying to learn the arrangement while playing along with the band.When Gary Wright Met George Harrison: Dream Weaver, John and Yoko, and More
September 29, 2014
The arrangement is unorthodox enough that it could revolutionize the role that Super PACs play in campaigns.Is The Tea Party's Latest Move Illegal?
August 6, 2014
"I shall not interfere with that arrangement," said the lawyer, misunderstanding his object.Brave and Bold
Sometimes this arrangement was made to save the master trouble.Biography of a Slave
Probably then the stair and the room below had been an arrangement for the musicians.Weighed and Wanting
The arrangement of the house permits of great regularity in working.
It wouldn't be the first arrangement of that sort in New York, either.The Bacillus of Beauty
- the act of arranging or being arranged
- the form in which things are arrangedhe altered the arrangement of furniture in the room
- a thing composed of various ordered parts; the result of arranginga flower arrangement
- (often plural) a preparatory measure taken or plan made; preparation
- an agreement or settlement; understanding
- an adaptation of a piece of music for performance in a different way, esp on different instruments from those for which it was originally composed
- an adaptation (of a play, etc) for broadcasting
Word Origin and History for arrangement
1727, from French arrangement, from arranger "arrange" (see arrange).