- to agree or concur; subscribe to (often followed by to): to assent to a statement.
- to give in; yield; concede: Assenting to his demands, I did as I was told.
- agreement, as to a proposal; concurrence.
- acquiescence; compliance.
Origin of assent
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1, 2. acquiesce.
1, 2. See agree.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- agreement, as to a statement, proposal, etc; acceptance
- hesitant agreement; compliance
- (intr usually foll by to) to agree or express agreement
C13: from Old French assenter, from Latin assentīrī, from sentīre to think
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for assentive
early 14c., "consent, approval," from Old French assent, a back-formation from assentir (see assent (v.)).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper