- extending to the fingertips, as a coat, veil, etc.: a fingertip jacket.
- at one's fingertips,
- close at hand; easily or immediately available.
- at one's command or disposal, as recall of factual information: He has the answer at his fingertips.
- to one's fingertips, thoroughly; perfectly: She was a politician to her fingertips.
Origin of fingertip
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the end joint or tip of a finger
- another term for fingerstall
- at one's fingertips readily available and within one's mental grasp
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for at one's finger tips
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The extreme end or tip of a finger.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.