- the projecting outer portion of the ear; pinna.
- Also called auricular appendage.an ear-shaped appendage projecting from each atrium of the heart.
- (loosely) the atrium.
- Botany, Zoology. a part like or likened to an ear.
Origin of auricle
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the upper chamber of the heart; atrium
- a small sac in the atrium of the heart
- Also called: pinna anatomy the external part of the ear
- Also called: auricula biology an ear-shaped part or appendage, such as that occurring at the join of the leaf blade and the leaf sheath in some grasses
C17: from Latin auricula the external ear, from auris ear
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for auricular-appendage
part of the ear, 1650s, from Latin auricula "ear," diminutive of auris (see ear (n.1)). As a chamber of the heart, early 15c., from Latin, so called from a perceived similarity in shape to an animal's ear.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A small conical pouch projecting from the upper anterior portion of each atrium of the heart.auricula atrii auricular appendage auricular appendix
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The visible part of the outer ear.
- An atrium of the heart.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.