- to establish as genuine.
- to establish the authorship or origin of conclusively or unquestionably, chiefly by the techniques of scholarship: to authenticate a painting.
- to make authoritative or valid.
Origin of authenticate
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. confirm, validate, substantiate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to establish as genuine or valid
- to give authority or legal validity to
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for authenticatable
"verify, establish the credibility of," 1650s, from Medieval Latin authenticatus, past participle of authenticare, from authenticus (see authentic). Related: Authenticated; authenticating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper