- Botany. pollination of the ovules of a flower by its own pollen; self-fertilization (opposed to allogamy).
- Biology. conjugation in an individual organism by division of its nucleus into two parts that in turn reunite to form a zygote.
Origin of autogamy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- self-fertilization in flowering plants
- a type of sexual reproduction, occurring in some protozoans, in which the uniting gametes are derived from the same cell
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Self-fertilization in which fission of the cell nucleus occurs without complete cellular division, forming two pronuclei that reunite to form the synkaryon.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- See self-fertilization.
- The union of nuclei within and arising from a single cell, as in certain protozoans and fungi.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.