Two grand porphyry columns, supporting an entablature, formed the portico of the baptistery, opposite side to where we entered.
Probably it was a combination of baptistery with tomb-church.
In the forenoon we visited the cathedral, the baptistery and the Boboli gardens.
This was done, and the baptistery was erected in its first form.
The baptistery is accessible by steps both from the basilica and the narthex.
The baptistery was built by Magister Diotisalvi, somewhere about 1152.
This was the Capitol of the ancient city, and probably a street ran between the baptistery and the cathedral.
Guido was then called to Pisa, to sculpture the altar and font in the baptistery there.
By these "second gates" are of course meant Ghiberti's second gates: in reality the "third gates" of the baptistery.
The baptistery is to the south of the aisle that was the original church.