- Clara,1821–1912, U.S. philanthropist who organized the American Red Cross in 1881.
- Derek H(arold) R(ichard),1918–98, English chemist: Nobel Prize 1969.
- Sir Edmund,1849–1920, Australian jurist and statesman: prime minister 1901–03.
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for barton
That scene with Margaret and Barton is essential for them going to that next step where he tries to kill himself.Allison Janney’s Incredible ‘Double O’ and That ‘Masters of Sex’ Love Scene
July 14, 2014
Barton has never been one to keep her feelings about the president a secret.Fringe Factor: Michele Bachmann on Obama's 'End Times' Foreign Policy
October 13, 2013
Before The O.C., Barton played the dead girl in The Sixth Sense.
On a recent morning, Barton reflected on that chapter of her life.
Like her O.C. character Marissa, Barton never made it to college.
Long Barton shall know you in your true character, Sir, I promise you.
The empty cage that had opened its door to love at Long Barton had now other occupants.
If the boy wished to test the issue, Barton was ready for him.
“It is at least twelve hundred more than you have now,” suggested Barton.
“As to that I am not prepared to give an opinion,” replied Barton.
- archaic a farmyard
Old English beretūn, from bere barley + tūn stockade; see town
- Sir Derek (Harold Richard). 1918–98, British organic chemist: shared the Nobel prize for chemistry (1969) for his work on conformational analysis
- Sir Edmund 1849–1920, Australian statesman; first prime minister of Australia (1901–03)
- Elizabeth, known as the Maid of Kent . ?1506–34, English nun, who claimed the gift of prophecy. Her criticism of Henry VIII's attempt to annul his first marriage led to her execution
- John (Bernard Adie). born 1928, British theatre director, noted esp for his productions of Shakespeare
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- American administrator who did battlefield relief work during the Civil War and organized the American Red Cross (1881).
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.