- a habitation or dwelling-place constructed for bees, usually either dome-shaped or box-shaped.
- a natural habitation of bees, as a hollowed-out tree.
- a crowded, busy place.
- something resembling an artificial beehive in appearance, as a hut or hairdo.
- Also called beehive oven. an oven for converting coal into coke, characterized by its dome-shaped roof.
Origin of beehive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for beehive
The Bees Laline Paull (Ecco) This arresting debut novel is a daring dystopian story set in a beehive.The Best Fiction of 2014: Ford, Ferrante, Klay, and More
December 7, 2014
A 30-yard free kick resulted and the rangy Brazilian, his hair a beehive of curls, cannoned the ball into the Colombian net.Brazil and Colombia Bring the Ugly Game
July 4, 2014
Jeb Bush recently stuck a stick in the GOP beehive on immigration and common core education standards.Why Hillary vs. Jeb Would Be Great for America
April 13, 2014
The Beehive State is attracting lots of investment, finishing seventh for Access to Capital.South Dakota Is 2013 Top State for Business
July 9, 2013
Jacobs sent his models, with their beehive hairdos, down the escalator in pairs who were dressed in complimentary styles.Louis Vuitton, Chanel, McQueen Cap Paris Spring 2013 Fashion Week Shows
October 3, 2012
The raging and roaring in the beehive could be heard in the distance.The Adventures of Maya the Bee
He wore a beehive hat, but the remainder of his attire was European.Chatterbox, 1905.
Miss Bartlett and Minnie are coming with me to tea at the Beehive.A Room With A View
E. M. Forster
Honey is sometimes extracted from the honeycomb and the comb replaced in the beehive.Orthography
Elmer W. Cavins
I wish he could come too, and all his people with him, and all the ladies from the Beehive.Dusty Diamonds Cut and Polished
- a man-made receptacle used to house a swarm of bees
- a dome-shaped hair style in which the hair is piled high on the head
- a place where busy people are assembled
- the dome-shaped building that houses sections of Parliament in Wellington, New Zealand
- the New Zealand government
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for beehive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper