- the removal for diagnostic study of a piece of tissue from a living body.
- a specimen obtained from a biopsy.
- to remove (living tissue) for diagnostic evaluation.
Origin of biopsy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- examination, esp under a microscope, of tissue from a living body to determine the cause or extent of a disease
- the sample taken for such an examination
C20: from bio- + Greek opsis sight
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for biopsied
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A sample of tissue removed from a living body by a medical provider for diagnostic purposes.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.