- nipping; smarting; keen: biting cold; a biting sensation on the tongue.
- cutting; sarcastic: a biting remark.
Origin of biting
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. incisive, trenchant; caustic, mordant, scathing, lacerating.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bitingly
"I s'pose there's no need o' my settin' down," she remarked, bitingly.Meadow Grass
And then one day he permitted his wit to be bitingly imprudent.The Historical Nights' Entertainment
"I thought you could handle routine operations," he said bitingly.The Players
Everett B. Cole
The wind had us on the stern, and hurried us bitingly forward.The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition
Robert Louis Stevenson
He scorned all the women of Ella's set, and was bitingly critical of Emily's friends.Saturday's Child
- piercing; keena biting wind
- sarcastic; incisivea biting comment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012