- Brax·ton [brak-stuh n] /ˈbræk stən/, 1817–76, Confederate general in the U.S. Civil War.
- Sir William Henry,1862–1942, and his son, Sir William Lawrence, 1890–1971, English physicists: Nobel Prize winners 1915.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bragg
He was sure that Victor was now with Bragg and they might meet face to face again.The Rock of Chickamauga
Joseph A. Altsheler
Bragg remains, but part of his garrison goes to Beauregard, in Virginia.Four Years in Rebel Capitals
T. C. DeLeon
Bragg has left Kentucky, and is thought to be hastening toward Nashville.
It will also enable them to spare troops to reinforce Bragg.
Johnson is said to have reinforced Bragg, and the enemy is supposed to be strong in our front.
- Billy. born 1957, British rock singer and songwriter, noted for his political protest songs; recordings include Between the Wars (1985), Workers' Playtime (1988), Mermaid Avenue (1998), and England, Half English (2002)
- Melvyn, Baron. born 1939, British novelist, broadcaster, and television executive; presenter of The South Bank Show since 1978
- Sir William Henry , 1862–1942, British physicist, who shared a Nobel prize for physics (1915) with his son, for their study of crystal structures by means of X-rays
- his son, Sir (William) Lawrence, 1890–1971, British physicist
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- British physicist who invented the x-ray spectrometer, a device used to measure x-ray wavelengths. With his son, the physicist Sir William Lawrence Bragg (1890-1971), he developed the technique of x-ray crystallography, used to determine the atomic structure of crystals. Father and son were awarded a joint Nobel Prize for physics in 1915 for this work.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.