- a salt of bromic acid.
- to treat with bromine; brominate.
Origin of bromate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bromate
A mixture of bromate and chloride of silver will precipitate.
By heating the bromate it was partially converted into the bromide, and the resulting mixture was distilled with sulphuric acid.
The potassium chlorate was also found to contain appreciable quantities of bromate.America's Munitions 1917-1918
- any salt or ester of bromic acid, containing the monovalent group -BrO 3 or ion BrO 3 –
- to add bromate to (a product), as in the treatment of flour
C19: probably from German Bromat; see bromo-, -ate 1
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A salt of bromic acid.
- An ion of bromic acid.
- To treat a substance chemically with a bromate.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A salt or ester containing the group BrO3.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.