- showy but inferior and worthless.
- a showy but inferior and worthless thing.
Origin of brummagem
Examples from the Web for brummagem
Here's a bit of a treeho, lads, as I bought in Brummagem the day afore yesterday.Aunt Rachel
David Christie Murray
Corruption of Brummagem, for meaning of which see Introductory Chapter.The Slang Dictionary
John Camden Hotten
It was Mrs. Flumgarten hooked on to the arm of Brummagem Brutus.Merrie England In The Olden Time, Vol. 2 (of 2)
In spite of his "brummagem" courage the wrath of the violent god was tremendous to him.Marion Fay</p>
I dare say they're some Brummagem people—some Fudge family or other—on their travels.
- an informal name for Birmingham Often shortened to: Brum
- (sometimes not capital) something that is cheap and flashy, esp imitation jewellery
- (sometimes not capital) cheap and gaudy; tawdry
Word Origin and History for brummagem
"cheap and showy," 19c., from a noun, from the vulgar pronunciation of Birmingham, England, in reference to articles mass-manufactured there. The word also recalls Birmingham's old reputation for counterfeiting.