In 1878 cannel coal gas was adopted for the Galley Head lighthouse, with 108-jet Wigham burners.
cannel coal is a variety of bituminous that gives off much gas.
Locally they grade into cannel coal, with which they are genetically related.
In Liverpool, gas from cannel coal is supplied at the low price of 3s.
In like manner Scotch cannel coal has been sometimes used at Whitby.
If any ornaments be found with the corpse, they are chiefly of cannel coal.
In 1857, Mr. Barr brought the first petroleum to this city, made from cannel coal, to be used as a source of light.
Another highly ornamental piece of cannel coal is in the form of a short spear-head with a thickish stem.
This consisted of a mountain in which there was an immense deposit of cannel coal.
It would burn well in a lamp, and greatly resembles the cannel coal of Scotland.