- the eating of human flesh by another human being.
- the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of its own kind.
- the ceremonial eating of human flesh or parts of the human body for magical or religious purposes, as to acquire the power or skill of a person recently killed.
- the act of pecking flesh from a live fowl by a member of the same flock.
- the removal of parts, equipment, assets, or employees from one product, item, or business in order to use them in another.
- the acquisition and absorption of smaller companies by a large corporation or conglomerate.
Origin of cannibalism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cannibalism
I had often read about cannibalism being widespread in the area, so I asked a local resident about it.An Oral History of Mao’s Greatest Crime
November 24, 2013
So we just heard the desperate colonists resorted to cannibalism.
From documents written during and after the time, historians gleaned that the desperate settlers may have engaged in cannibalism.
Even as Valle sat in court this week, the 364 various groups on DFN included one called Cannibalism, Snuff with 835 members.Cannibal Cop’s Dark Fetishes Detailed in Grisly Trial Testimony
February 27, 2013
His take on the surreal spate of “bath salt” cannibalism managed to combine moral clarity with a gonzo stride.John Avlon’s Picks for 12 Best Opinion Columns of 2012
December 31, 2012
Real philanthropy is as inconsistent with exploitation as with cannibalism.Freeland
Cannibalism was regarded by them with horror and detestation.The Hawaiian Islands
The Department of Foreign Affairs
The population was largely Carib, a savage race given to cannibalism.Plotting in Pirate Seas
After a stormy but courageous career he died in 1691, innocent of cannibalism.Highways & Byways in Sussex
This case shows that the horror of cannibalism is due to tradition in the mores.Folkways
William Graham Sumner
- the act of eating human flesh or the flesh of one's own kind
- savage and inhuman cruelty
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cannibalism
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper