- not paying enough attention to what one does: a careless typist.
- not exact, accurate, or thorough: careless work.
- done or said heedlessly or negligently; unconsidered: a careless remark.
- not caring or troubling; having no care or concern; unconcerned (usually followed by of, about, or in): careless of the rights of others; careless about one's behavior; careless in speech.
- possessed or caused without effort or art; unstudied: careless beauty.
- Archaic. free from anxiety.
Origin of careless
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. inattentive, incautious, unwary, indiscreet, reckless. 2. inaccurate, negligent. 3. unthoughtful, unmindful. 4. thoughtless, forgetful; inconsiderate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for carelessness
“The most frustrating part of this crematorium here is the carelessness of the Ebola team,” says Reeves.Rage Against the Ebola Crematorium
November 11, 2014
Her jauntiness and carefree attitude appeals to him; the negative side is her carelessness.The Forgotten Genius of Ring Lardner
September 1, 2013
There is no excuse for my carelessness in handling this situation, nor my stubbornness in delaying acknowledgment of my errors.The Big Speech Ron Paul Ought to Give
January 10, 2012
On the one hand, he was furious at the carelessness of it all; on the other, he felt sorry for the man.The Billionaire and the Fugitive
Meir Doron, Joseph Gelman
July 23, 2011
And many of them can be attributed to a certain nonchalance or carelessness.Cameron Buys Himself Time
July 20, 2011
They are victims of their elders' folly, of our carelessness as to their environment.The Call of the Twentieth Century
David Starr Jordan
It is all our ignorance and carelessness; all the result of broken law.Hetty's Strange History
He is incapable of envy or avarice, whether from virtue or from carelessness.Reflections
Francois Duc De La Rochefoucauld
And all these arrangements had been upset by the carelessness of a domestic.My Double Life
He saw how it had happened through Buckhurst's carelessness.Tales And Novels, Volume 8 (of 10)
- done with or acting with insufficient attention; negligent
- (often foll by in, of, or about) unconcerned in attitude or action; heedless; indifferent (to)she's very careless about her clothes
- (usually prenominal) carefree
- (usually prenominal) unstudied; artlessan impression of careless elegance
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for carelessness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper