- Also called cassette tape. a compact case containing a length of magnetic tape that runs between two small reels: used for recording or playback of audio or video in a tape recorder, cassette deck, video camera, or VCR, and for storage of data by some small computer systems.See also audiocassette, videocassette.
- Photography. a lightproof metal or plastic container for a roll of film, having a single spool for supplying and rewinding the film.
- a replaceable or refillable cartridge in a typewriter or printer that contains the ribbon or ink.
- a case or tray in a printer or copier that holds the paper.
Origin of cassette
Examples from the Web for cassette
Cassette tapes, specifically finding them, are also a challenge.Prisoners Get Cultural Fix with 8-Tracks and Bootleg Cassettes
August 18, 2014
Halford, absent from court all morning, arrives late in the afternoon with a large, black double-deck and a cassette.The Stacks: The Judas Priest Teen Suicide Trial
June 28, 2014
During the ride, Jai Johany plays lacy Afro jazz on a cassette machine, frowning, saying nothing.Stacks: Hitting the Note with the Allman Brothers Band
March 15, 2014
Growing up in the 1990s, I watched Free to Be on VHS and listened to the songs on a cassette tape over and over again.‘Free to Be…You and Me’ Did Not Emasculate Men
March 11, 2014
Not until we were all grown up did we know the other had been given a cassette tape too.Peter Worthington: A Life Well Lived
May 23, 2013
No beaux yeux, whether of the cassette or of one's first love, ever subjugate a man so completely as the fascinations of play.
It had supplied each of them with a small box, cassette, containing a few articles of clothing.
The theft of the cassette, however, was a transaction which his enemies never suffered to be forgotten.Contemporary Socialism
The cassette of St. Joseph, wherein were deposited the oboli for the poor, had long been emptied.The Golden Dog
- a plastic container for magnetic tape, as one inserted into a tape deck
- (as modifier)a cassette recorder
- photog another term for cartridge (def. 5)
- films a container for film used to facilitate the loading of a camera or projector, esp when the film is used in the form of a loop
- the injection of genes from one species into the fertilized egg of another species
Word Origin and History for cassette
1793, "little box," from French cassette, from Middle French casset, diminutive of Old North French casse "box" (see case (n.2)). Meaning "magnetic tape recorder cartridge" is from 1960.