- strong or vehement expression of disapproval: The newspapers were unanimous in their censure of the tax proposal.
- an official reprimand, as by a legislative body of one of its members.
- to criticize or reproach in a harsh or vehement manner: She is more to be pitied than censured.
- to give censure, adverse criticism, disapproval, or blame.
Origin of censure
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for censurer
The head-master had the generosity to bear his censurer no grudge for his outspokenness.The Silent Isle
Arthur Christopher Benson
Reflect′iveness; Reflect′or, one who, or that which, reflects: a mirror or polished reflecting surface: a censurer.
It is easy to find a censurer of the sins of the land, but hard to find a true mourner for the sins of the land.
Peevish, querulous, a panegyrist of former times when he was a boy, a chastiser and censurer of his juniors.The Works of Horace
The censurer, and the censured, will stand at the same bar, and be tried by the same Judge.Sermons on Various Important Subjects
- severe disapproval; harsh criticism
- to criticize (someone or something) severely; condemn
Word Origin and History for censurer
1580s, from censure (n.) or else from French censurer, from censure (n.). Related: Censured; censuring.
Such men are so watchful to censure, that the have seldom much care to look for favourable interpretations of ambiguities, to set the general tenor of life against single failures, or to know how soon any slip of inadvertency has been expiated by sorrow and retractation; but let fly their fulminations, without mercy or prudence, against slight offences or casual temerities, against crimes never committed, or immediately repented. [Johnson, "Life of Sir Thomas Browne," 1756]
late 14c., originally ecclesiastical, from Latin censura "judgment, opinion," also "office of a censor," from census, past participle of censere "appraise, estimate, assess" (see censor (n.)). General sense of "a finding of fault and an expression of condemnation" is from c.1600.