[sur-tuh-fahy-uh-buh l, sur-tuh-fahy-]
- capable of being certified.
- legally committable to a mental institution.
- Sometimes Facetious. fit or ready for an insane asylum.
- uncontrollable; insane: a certifiable desire.
Origin of certifiable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for certifiable
This is a certifiable situation in our collective nervous lap, and the time is now for.ISIS and BS
October 15, 2014
A 100 percent certifiable truth for sure—at least until the next study.New Research Contradicts Calorie-Restriction Claims
September 1, 2012
Unless you count the certifiable outlier, Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin is the only one they have left.How the GOP Loses Women
November 1, 2009
- capable of being certified
- fit to be certified as insane
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for certifiable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- That can or must be certified. Used of infectious, industrial, and other diseases that are required by law to be reported to health authorities.
- Relating to or being a person showing disordered behavior of sufficient gravity to justify involuntary mental hospitalization.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.