- characterized by friendly and informal talk or writing, often about minor or personal matters: a long, chatty letter from my sister.
- given to such talk: a lovable, chatty old man.
Origin of chatty
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. talky, voluble, gossipy, talkative, newsy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chattiness
But when Bradish appeared, answering the captain's summons, all his chattiness had left him.Blow The Man Down
The result is a mixture of formality and chattiness which seems to me all wrong.Once a Week
Alan Alexander Milne
But Phil cannot so deftly change the color of his talk; his chattiness has all gone from him.
- full of trivial conversation; talkative
- informal and friendly; gossipya chatty letter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for chattiness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper