- a comprehensive physical examination: He went to the doctor for a checkup.
- an examination or close scrutiny, as for verification, accuracy, or comparison: They gave the motor a checkup.
Origin of checkup
1885–90, Americanism; noun use of verb phrase check up
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for checkup
A few men who felt sick came for a checkup with a volunteer cardiologist, Irina Gord.Inside the Kiev Crackdown
December 10, 2013
The procedure, anesthesia, and a checkup two weeks after total up to 550 dollars.Inside an Oklahoma Abortion Clinic
January 22, 2013
When I went back for my six-week checkup with the midwife, she had started the second book.A Gifted Man’s Leading Lady
September 23, 2011
"Wade Lucas wanted me to drop in on him for a checkup," he mentioned.The Cosmic Computer
Henry Beam Piper
I just had a checkup from Dr. Willoughby, and he thinks I'm more than holding my own.The Star Lord
Did you give Maragon's heart a checkup in the last couple of weeks?The Right Time
He was still standing there when the checkup squad marched in and arrested him for gross dereliction of duty.The Impossible Voyage Home
Floyd L. Wallace
This checkup determined which slaves were late or who had committed some offense late on the day before or during the night.Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States
Work Projects Administration
- an examination to see if something is in order
- med a medical examination, esp one taken at regular intervals to verify a normal state of health or discover a disease in its early stages
- (intr, adverb sometimes foll by on) to investigate or make an inquiry into (a person's character, evidence, etc), esp when suspicions have been aroused
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for checkup
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- An examination or inspection.
- A general physical examination.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.