- Also called Bengal rose. a rose, Rosa chinensis, of China, having slightly fragrant crimson, pink, or white flowers.
- Also called Chinese hibiscus, rose of China. a tropical Asian shrub, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, of the mallow family, having showy, usually rose-red flowers.
Origin of China rose
First recorded in 1725–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a rosaceous shrub, Rosa chinensis (or R. indica), with red, pink, or white fragrant flowers: the ancestor of many cultivated roses
- a related dwarf plant, Rosa semperflorens, having crimson flowers
- another name for hibiscus
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012