- ChristopherSp. Cristóbal ColónIt. Cristoforo Colombo, 1446?–1506, Italian navigator in Spanish service: traditionally considered the discoverer of America 1492.
- a city in and the capital of Ohio, in the central part.
- a city in W Georgia.
- a city in central Indiana.
- a city in E Mississippi.
- a city in E Nebraska.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a city in central Ohio: the state capital. Pop: 728 432 (2003 est)
- a city in W Georgia, on the Chattahoochee River. Pop: 185 702 (2003 est)
- Christopher. Spanish name Cristóbal Colón, Italian name Cristoforo Colombo. 1451–1506, Italian navigator and explorer in the service of Spain, who discovered the New World (1492)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for christopher columbus
his name is Latinized from his native Italian Cristoforo Colombo, in Spanish Christobal Colon.
America was discovered accidentally by a great seaman who was looking for something else, and most of the exploration for the next fifty years was done in the hope of getting through or around it. [S.E. Morison, "The Oxford History of the United States," 1965]
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Capital of Ohio.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.