[kleer-kuht for 1, 2; kleer-kuht for 3–5]
- formed with or having clearly defined outlines: a face with clear-cut features.
- unambiguously clear; completely evident; definite: His sale of secrets was a clear-cut example of treachery.
- of or relating to a section of forest where all trees have been cut down for harvesting.
- a section of forest where all trees have been cut down for harvesting.
- to fell all the trees in (a section of forest) for harvesting.
Also clear cut, clear·cut (for defs 3–5).
Origin of clear-cut
First recorded in 1850–55
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. chiseled, crisp, precise, positive, definite.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for clear-cut
This 2-0 was a clear-cut win, a sharp slice through a loaf, no ambiguity, no crumbs.Chile Ends Spain’s World Cup Reign
June 18, 2014
Today, in the name of progress, we have faceless interstate highways, clear-cut logging, and industrial farming.Rackstraw Downes’s Art and Essays Are Two Sides of the Same Genius
June 4, 2014
But for those with complicated financial situations, or even complicated family dynamics, things are not so clear-cut.Are You Legally Responsible for Your Elderly Parents?
April 26, 2014
The polls say more people will blame the Republicans, but they aren't as clear-cut as they ought to be.Obama's 5 pm Statement
September 30, 2013
Whatever happens, a clear-cut winner in Syria might well try to rally the divided country by confronting the Zionist enemy.Kerry: Sending a Message to Whom?
August 30, 2013
His clear-cut features, always handsome, were grand in sleep.Hetty's Strange History
He flung back his head, and there was defiance in every line of his clear-cut face.The Strolling Saint
He hesitated, but when his words came they were clear-cut and stern.The Coyote
His English was not thick, but all clear-cut, as though it came from a phonograph."Captains Courageous"
These were not clear-cut problems of the kind he had been dealing with all his life.But, I Don't Think
Gordon Randall Garrett
- definite; not vaguea clear-cut proposal
- clearly outlined
- (tr) another term for clear-fell
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012