- the act of conceiving; the state of being conceived.
- fertilization; inception of pregnancy.
- a notion; idea; concept: She has some odd conceptions about life.
- something that is conceived: That machine is the conception of a genius.
- origination; beginning: The organization has been beset by problems from its conception.
- a design; plan.
- a sketch of something not actually existing: an artist's conception of ancient Athens.
- the act or power of forming notions, ideas, or concepts.
Origin of conception
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for conceptional
Such is the conceptional theory of Totemism, deriving that institution from the sick fancies of pregnant women.The Origin of Man and of his Superstitions
This would also be the case had Arunta totemism always been conceptional and fortuitous.
Consequently the chance distribution of totems on the present conceptional Arunta system has not caused this uniform phenomenon.
The history of the future municipality of Montreal may now be said to be in its conceptional stage.Montreal 1535-1914, Volume II (of 2)
William Henry Atherton
- something conceived; notion, idea, design, or plan
- the description under which someone considers somethingher conception of freedom is wrong
- the fertilization of an ovum by a sperm in the Fallopian tube followed by implantation in the womb
- origin or beginningfrom its conception the plan was a failure
- the act or power of forming notions; invention
Word Origin and History for conceptional
early 14c., "act of conceiving," from Old French concepcion (Modern French conception) "conception, grasp, comprehension," from Latin conceptionem (nominative conceptio) "a comprehending, conception," noun of action from stem of concipere (see conceive). Originally in the womb sense (also with reference to Conception Day in the Church calendar); mental sense "process of forming concepts" is late 14c. Meaning "that which is conceived in the mind" is from 1520s; "general notion" is from 1785.
- The act of forming a general idea or notion.
- The formation of a viable zygote by the union of a spermatozoon and an ovum; fertilization.
- The formation of a zygote resulting from the union of a sperm and egg cell; fertilization.