- being in conflict or disagreement; not compatible: conflicting viewpoints.
Origin of conflicting
- to come into collision or disagreement; be contradictory, at variance, or in opposition; clash: The account of one eyewitness conflicted with that of the other. My class conflicts with my going to the concert.
- to fight or contend; do battle.
- a fight, battle, or struggle, especially a prolonged struggle; strife.
- controversy; quarrel: conflicts between parties.
- discord of action, feeling, or effect; antagonism or opposition, as of interests or principles: a conflict of ideas.
- a striking together; collision.
- incompatibility or interference, as of one idea, desire, event, or activity with another: a conflict in the schedule.
- Psychiatry. a mental struggle arising from opposing demands or impulses.
Origin of conflict
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for conflicting
In some ways, the Esme Beltagy Center is ground zero for the conflicting social forces buffeting Turkey.Allah, Mom, and Baklava: Turkish President Uses Mothers and Kids as Political Pawns
November 27, 2014
There are these conflicting agendas, and all this room for murkiness.‘Homeland’ Creator Talks Season 4’s ‘Reboot,’ Life After Brody, and How ISIS Will Affect the Show
October 6, 2014
There are conflicting reports, but it looks like he might have worked for a few websites after that but it wasn't clear.The Porn Party Where War Machine Went Ballistic
August 20, 2014
Much like “traditional marriage,” traditional masculinity is a compound of competing, conflicting ideals.Alleged Santa Barbara Killer Elliot Rodger and the Twisted Cult of Modern Masculinity
May 26, 2014
There are two conflicting understandings of where Hannibal is left.Hugh Dancy on ‘Hannibal’s’ Brilliantly Batsh*t Finale and the Future of Will Graham
May 24, 2014
Later he involved himself in explanations that were both obscure and conflicting.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
What a storm of conflicting passions this must have roused in his soul!The Field of Ice
His was the case of a dual personality of conflicting inheritance.City of Endless Night
But is a man in harmony with himself when he is the subject of these conflicting influences?The Republic
It is difficult to harmonize all these conflicting elements.Charmides
- clashing; contradictoryconflicting rumours
- a struggle or clash between opposing forces; battle
- a state of opposition between ideas, interests, etc; disagreement or controversy
- a clash, as between two appointments made for the same time
- psychol opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible wishes or drives, sometimes leading to a state of emotional tension and thought to be responsible for neuroses
- to come into opposition; clash
- to fight
Word Origin and History for conflicting
early 15c., "armed encounter, battle," from Old French conflit and directly from Latin conflictus (see conflict (v.)). Meaning "struggle, quarrel" is from mid-15c. Psychological sense of "incompatible urges in one person" is from 1859 (hence conflicted, past participle adjective). Phrase conflict of interest was in use by 1743.
- A psychic struggle between opposing or incompatible impulses, desires, or tendencies.