- a flowing together of two or more streams, rivers, or the like: the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.
- their place of junction: St. Louis is at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.
- a body of water formed by the flowing together of two or more streams, rivers, or the like.
- a coming together of people or things; concourse.
- a crowd or throng; assemblage.
Also con·flux [kon-fluhks] /ˈkɒn flʌks/.
Origin of confluence
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
4. union, joining, meeting.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for conflux
Charleston is situated at the conflux of the rivers Ashley and Cooper.Travels in North America, From Modern Writers
Namur is situated on the conflux of the Meuse and the Sambre.The History of England in Three Volumes, Vol.II.
Athelney, a morass formed by the conflux of the Thone and the Parret.Old English Chronicles
I remember at Lyons to have been taken to see the conflux of the Rhone and the Sane.Lord Chatham
Archibald Phillip Primrose Rosebery
There appeared no conflux of men in obedience to the proclamation.The World's Greatest Books, Vol XII.
- a merging or flowing together, esp of rivers
- a gathering together, esp of people
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for conflux
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A flowing or meeting together; a joining.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A flowing together of two or more streams or two or more glaciers.
- The point of juncture of such streams or glaciers.
- The combined stream or glacier formed by this juncture.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.