- a combination of financial institutions, capitalists, etc., for carrying into effect some financial operation requiring large resources of capital.
- any association, partnership, or union.
- Law. the legal right of partners in a marriage to companionship and conjugal intercourse with each other: In a wrongful death action the surviving spouse commonly seeks damages for loss of consortium.
Origin of consortium
Examples from the Web for consortium
A consortium of European countries led by Germany pledged funds to be shepherded by the United Nations.Is Rafael Correa the Next Hugo Chavez?
August 22, 2013
A consortium of scientists and the American Civil Liberties Union eventually sued to invalidate the patents a few years ago.The Supremes Get It Right, Naturally.
June 14, 2013
If all of those votes had been counted statewide, the consortium determined that Al Gore would have won.
Another question is whether the electors would have counted the overvote the same way that the consortium did.
A consortium of journalists has for months attempted to penetrate offshore banking secrecy.Russian Corruption is Poisoning Britain
April 4, 2013
The consortium was not to interfere in the domestic affairs of China.
If Japan joins whole-heartedly in the consortium, she may be the greatest gainer.
But the question is bound to arise: why continue the Consortium if it isnt doing anything?
But there is a larger phase of the Consortium concerning which I think apprehensions may reasonably be entertained.
The specific protests of Chinese in this countrymainly Cantoneseagainst the Consortium seem to me mainly based on misapprehension.
- an association of financiers, companies, etc, esp one formed for a particular purpose
- law the right of husband or wife to the company, assistance, and affection of the other
Word Origin and History for consortium
1829, from Latin consortium "fellowship, participation, society," from consors (genitive consortis; see consort (n.)). Earlier, in British law, a term for "right of husband's access to his wife."