- the quality of being unchanging or unwavering, as in purpose, love, or loyalty; firmness of mind; faithfulness.
- uniformity or regularity, as in qualities or conditions; invariableness.
Origin of constancy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. resolution, steadfastness, fidelity, fealty, loyalty, devotion. 2. permanence, regularity, dependability.
1. irresolution, infidelity. 2. fickleness.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for constancies
Sensible experiences group themselves round these constancies.Essays Towards a Theory of Knowledge
- the quality of having a resolute mind, purpose, or affection; steadfastness
- freedom from change or variation; stability
- psychol the perceptual phenomenon in which attributes of an object appear to remain the same in a variety of different presentations, e.g., a given object looks roughly the same size regardless of its distance from the observer
- ecology the frequency of occurrence of a particular species in sample plots from a plant community
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for constancies
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper