- the quality of being unchanging or unwavering, as in purpose, love, or loyalty; firmness of mind; faithfulness.
- uniformity or regularity, as in qualities or conditions; invariableness.
Origin of constancy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. resolution, steadfastness, fidelity, fealty, loyalty, devotion. 2. permanence, regularity, dependability.
1. irresolution, infidelity. 2. fickleness.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for constancy
It conveys the constancy and consistency of the alliance, a special relationship.Rick Perry's Dangerous Israel Gaffe
November 13, 2011
She left her son with one place to go: in search of a constancy, a definition he had never known.Dreams of His Mother
May 3, 2011
The preoccupation with “middle class” constancy strikes me as obsessive.What Did Velma Hart Expect?
September 21, 2010
The bad feelings are mainly about values, style and constancy more than policy.Day of Reckoning
The Daily Beast
June 22, 2010
And this constancy forms the very essence of necessity, nor have we any other idea of it.
The necessity of dying created all the constancy of philosophers.Reflections
Francois Duc De La Rochefoucauld
Clearly their constancy to this metre was not the result of any technical deficiency.The Lyric
The constancy of his companions braced Madden like a dash of ice water.The Cruise of the Dry Dock
T. S. Stribling
All depends on the completeness and constancy with which the make-believe is supported.The Mystery of Murray Davenport
Robert Neilson Stephens
- the quality of having a resolute mind, purpose, or affection; steadfastness
- freedom from change or variation; stability
- psychol the perceptual phenomenon in which attributes of an object appear to remain the same in a variety of different presentations, e.g., a given object looks roughly the same size regardless of its distance from the observer
- ecology the frequency of occurrence of a particular species in sample plots from a plant community
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for constancy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper