- free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.
- of or characteristic of a cosmopolite.
- belonging to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world.
- Botany, Zoology. widely distributed over the globe.
- a person who is free from local, provincial, or national bias or attachment; citizen of the world; cosmopolite.
- a cocktail made with vodka, cranberry juice, an orange-flavored liqueur, and lime juice.
Origin of cosmopolitan
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for cosmopolitanism
The architecture, culture, cosmopolitanism, and engagement of the local population could hardly fail to impress.Do the Olympics Boost the Economy? Studies Show the Impact Is Likely Negative
July 30, 2012
Many argue he ended a long era of cosmopolitanism and liberalism in Egypt.Revolutionary Memories
February 4, 2011
Patriotism and internationalism or cosmopolitanism are two opposites.The Psychology of Nations
There were not a few touches of cosmopolitanism suggestive of that gathering.Impressions of a War Correspondent
She had about her something that Clancy could not define, and which was cosmopolitanism, worldliness.Find the Woman
Arthur Somers Roche
As for that cosmopolitanism for which you censure him, we do not agree there; it is just that which interests me in him.
You remember the morning when you were so gay, and when you gave me the theory of your cosmopolitanism?
- a person who has lived and travelled in many countries, esp one who is free of national prejudices
- having interest in or familiar with many parts of the world
- sophisticated or urbane
- composed of people or elements from all parts of the world or from many different spheres
- (of plants or animals) widely distributed
Word Origin and History for cosmopolitanism
1844, from cosmopolite "citizen of the world" (q.v.) on model of metropolitan. The U.S. women's magazine of the same name was first published in 1886. Cosmopolitanism first recorded 1828.
- Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed.
- A cosmopolitan organism.