- any of several marine fishes having hornlike projections over the eyes, especially a trunkfish, Lactophrys guadricornus, found in the warm waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
- a sirenian, as the manatee.
- any of various small cetaceans, as a porpoise or dolphin or the grampus, Grampus griseus.
Origin of cowfish
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any trunkfish, such as Lactophrys quadricornis, having hornlike spines over the eyes
- (loosely) any of various large aquatic animals, such as a sea cow
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012