- a hollow pastry made with cream puff paste and filled with custard sauce or whipped cream.
- a weak or timid person; sissy.
- a vehicle or machine that has been kept in unusually good condition or is very easy to operate.
Origin of cream puff
First recorded in 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for creampuff
He had a tough style, these folks say, but Moore was no creampuff either.Jack Griffin Out: Inside Time's CEO Debacle
February 18, 2011
- a shell of light pastry with a custard or cream filling
- informal an effeminate man
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for creampuff
I remember my first campaign. My opponent called me a cream puff. That's what he said. Well, I rushed out and got the baker's union to endorse me. [Sen. Claiborne Pell, D-R.I., 1987]
As a salesman's word, "something that is a tremendous bargain," it is from 1940s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper