- a ridge or groove produced in anything by folding, heat, pressure, etc.; fold; furrow.
- a wrinkle, especially one on the face.
- the straight, vertical edge or line produced in the front and back of trousers, especially men's trousers, by pressing, as with a steam presser or iron.
- Ice Hockey. the marked rectangular area in front of each goal cage, into which an offensive player can skate only if that player has the puck, if the puck is already within the area, or if the goalie is absent.
- to make a crease or creases in or on; wrinkle.
- to wound or stun by a furrowing or superficial shot: The bullet merely creased his shoulder.
- to become creased.
Origin of crease1
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for creased
The cracked, creased and pockmarked streets again made dancing harder.Mardi Gras Indian Chief Larry Bannock’s Final Ride
May 16, 2014
The print had been torn, folded and creased until a large void was left in the lower left portion.Jasper Johns: The Secrets of a Master at Work
March 15, 2014
On the margins of the creased paper, black squares represent the two tanks the unit will use to shell the base.Syria: Would a No-Fly Zone Help the Rebels Oust Assad?
September 11, 2012
The dark skin was creased in fierce wrinkles about the eyes and mouth.The Monster Men
Edgar Rice Burroughs
The tape is first folded and creased by rubbing over an edge.Boys' Book of Model Boats
Raymond Francis Yates
It had become a grimace that creased every wrinkle into prominence.The Paliser case
I'm creased too, at the line where I was bent into the fourth dimension!The 4-D Doodler
He drew forth a creased, yellowed, tattered, time-eaten paper.Frank Merriwell's Pursuit
Burt L. Standish
- a line or mark produced by folding, pressing, or wrinkling
- a wrinkle or furrow, esp on the face
- cricket any three lines near each wicket marking positions for the bowler or batsmanSee also bowling crease, popping crease, return crease
- ice hockey the small rectangular area in front of each goal cage
- Also called: goal crease lacrosse the circular area surrounding the goal
- to make or become wrinkled or furrowed
- (tr) to graze with a bullet, causing superficial injury
- (often foll by up) slang to be or cause to be greatly amused
- a rare spelling of kris
Word Origin and History for creased
1660s, altered from creaste "a ridge," perhaps a variant of crest, via meaning "a fold in a length of cloth" (mid-15c.) which produced a crest. As a verb, from 1580s. Related: Creased; creasing.
- A line made by folding or wrinkling, as in the skin.