[krom-wuh l, -wel; for 1–3 also kruhm-]
- Oliver,1599–1658, English general, Puritan statesman, and Lord Protector of England, Scotland, and Ireland 1653–58.
- his sonRichard,1626–1712, English soldier, politician, Lord Protector of England 1658–59.
- Thomas, Earl of Essex,1485?–1540, English statesman.
- a town in central Connecticut.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cromwell
Cromwell actually did declare a War on Christmas, which he deemed to be sensuous paganism.Why Gay Marriage Will Win, and Sexual Freedom Will Lose
March 26, 2013
Cromwell, for one, thinks the Academy should revise its rules to recognize nonhuman performers.Hollywood's Top Dog: 'The Artist' Star Uggie
December 5, 2011
Murdoch fits Clarendon's description of Cromwell, updated by David Chandler to describe Napoleon, as "a great, bad man."The Rupert I Know
December 17, 2008
Cromwell he dared not mention—perhaps he did not wish to mention him.Bunyan
James Anthony Froude
It might have been a church, and the militia a regiment of Cromwell's iconoclastic Puritans.Mistress Wilding
It was that of the chamber wherein he had been brought before Cromwell.The Tavern Knight
It is the Northern University, first projected in Cromwell's time.
Cromwell demolished this castle after it fell into his hands.
- Oliver. 1599–1658, English general and statesman. A convinced Puritan, he was an effective leader of the parliamentary army in the Civil War. After the execution of Charles I he quelled the Royalists in Scotland and Ireland, and became Lord Protector of the Commonwealth (1653–58)
- his son, Richard. 1626–1712, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth (1658–59)
- Thomas,Earl of Essex. ?1485–1540, English statesman. He was secretary to Cardinal Wolsey (1514), after whose fall he became chief adviser to Henry VIII. He drafted most of the Reformation legislation, securing its passage through parliament, the power of which he thereby greatly enhanced. He was executed after losing Henry's favour
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012