- (of handwriting) in flowing strokes with the letters joined together.
- Printing. in flowing strokes resembling handwriting.
- a cursive letter or character.
- Printing. a style of typeface simulating handwriting.
Origin of cursive
1775–85; < Medieval Latin cursīvus flowing (said of penmanship), equivalent to Latin curs(us) (past participle of currere to run) + -īvus -ive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cursive
My Facebook page still reflects that—Modest Mouse and Cursive and El-P.How to Stay on Facebook and Protect Your Privacy at the Same Time
July 20, 2012
“Slurring is the cursive of speech,” Katey tells a drunken dinner-party companion one night.Great Weekend Reads
Malcolm Jones, Matt Gallagher, Saul Austerlitz, Sharon Steel
September 11, 2011
If possible, change the settings for “cursive” and “fantasy” to fonts of your choice.All Round the Year
The individual letters of this "Cursive" may be more easily studied in 84.Letters and Lettering
Frank Chouteau Brown
Now there has often been expressed on the part of the advocates of the cursive MSS.
There is a considerable difference between the printed and cursive forms of the Tibetan alphabet.
Can you explain the meaning of the term "cursive" apart from your use in this instance?Warren Commission (7 of 26): Hearings Vol. VII (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
- of or relating to handwriting in which letters are formed and joined in a rapid flowing style
- printing of or relating to typefaces that resemble handwriting
- a cursive letter or printing type
- a manuscript written in cursive letters
C18: from Medieval Latin cursīvus running, ultimately from Latin currere to run
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cursive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper