- any of several trees of the genus Annona, as the cherimoya.
- any of several other trees, as the pawpaw, Asimina triloba, bearing fruit with soft, edible pulp.
- the fruit of any of these trees.
Origin of custard apple
First recorded in 1650–60
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a West Indian tree, Annona reticulata: family Annonaceae
- the large heart-shaped fruit of this tree, which has a fleshy edible pulp
- any of several related trees or fruits, esp the papaw and sweetsop
Also called (for senses 1, 2): bullock's heart
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012