- resembling a circle; circular.
- (of the scale of a fish) smooth-edged, more or less circular in form, and having concentric striations.
- (of a fish) having such scales.
- Psychiatry. of or noting a personality type characterized by wide fluctuation in mood within the normal range.
- a cycloid fish.
- Geometry. a curve generated by a point on the circumference of a circle that rolls, without slipping, on a straight line.
Origin of cycloid
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cycloid
It is not yet known to what philosopher we owe the invention of the cycloid.Letters on England
Pascal is said to have written his treatise on the cycloid from a religious motive.Sir Christopher Wren</p>
So that it is a kind of Cycloid, of which, however, the points can be found geometrically.Treatise on Light</p>
Rather it travels along a cycloid, bending back upon itself, following the movement of man.A Novelist on Novels
W. L. George
In brief—distinct grounds, and vivid circular or cycloid figures, of no meaning, are here Median laws.The Works of Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe
- resembling a circle
- (of fish scales) rounded, thin, and smooth-edged, as those of the salmon
- psychiatry (of a type of personality) characterized by exaggerated swings of mood between elation and depressionSee also cyclothymia
- geometry the curve described by a point on the circumference of a circle as the circle rolls along a straight lineCompare trochoid (def. 1)
- a fish that has cycloid scales
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Resembling a circle.
- Thin, rounded, and smooth-edged, like a disk. Used of fish scales.
- The curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle that rolls on a straight line.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.