- a prophet living in Babylon during the Captivity.
- the book of the Bible bearing his name. Abbreviation: Dan.
- Samuel,1562–1619, English poet and historian: poet laureate 1599–1619.
- a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “the Lord is my judge.”
Examples from the Web for daniel
“I was watching ‘Daniel The Tiger’ with my kid and I heard two shots like ‘boom-boom,’” he said.Anger at The Cop Killer - And The Police
December 21, 2014
The QC Group Inc A Minnesota-based corporation, owned by Daniel Medford and David DeVowe, which provides quality control services.The 26 Next Hobby Lobbys
December 17, 2014
He told Cornell that Daniel Craig would be the next James Bond before that was a reality.William, Kate, and Jay Z’s Favorite Art Star: Alexander Gilkes' World of Rock Stars and Royalty
December 10, 2014
Police Officer Daniel Pantaleo then sought to bring the hulking Garner down by yoking him around the neck.Eric Garner Was Just a Number to Them
December 5, 2014
At 4:45 p.m., he was approached by Justin Damico, a plainclothes cop, and another officer, Daniel Pantaleo, outside the store.Before Eric Garner, There Was Michael Stewart: The Tragic Story of the Real-Life Radio Raheem
December 4, 2014
Here he had prestige because he was the son of Daniel Bines, organiser and man of affairs.
Think of a son of Daniel J. Bines treatin' folks like that as if they was his equals.
Daniel Claus had set up a pack of hounds, equal in breed to Sir William's.In the Valley
"It don't need a Daniel to interpret them," answered Hannah.The Works of Whittier, Volume V (of VII)
John Greenleaf Whittier
Dick recognized in dim wonder the voice of Sergeant Daniel Whitley.The Rock of Chickamauga
Joseph A. Altsheler
- Old Testament
- a youth who was taken into the household of Nebuchadnezzar, received guidance and apocalyptic visions from God, and was given divine protection when thrown into the lions' den
- the book that recounts these experiences and visions (in full The Book of the Prophet Daniel)
- (often preceded by a) a wise upright person
- Paul (Wilson). born 1958, English conductor; musical director of the English National Opera (1997–2005)
- Samuel. ?1562–1619, English poet and writer: author of the sonnet sequence Delia (1592)
Word Origin and History for daniel
proper name, Hebrew, literally "God is my judge;" related to Dan, literally "he who judges," the tribe descended from Jacob's son of that name in Old Testament. Consistently in the top 15 names for boys born in the U.S. from 1972 through 2008.