[dair-ee-en, -uh n, dar-, dair-ee-en, dar-]
- Gulf of, an arm of the Caribbean between NE Panama and NW Colombia.
- Isthmus of, former name of the Isthmus of Panama.
- a town in SW Connecticut.
- a city in NE Illinois.
Spanish Da·rién [dah-ryen] /dɑˈryɛn/ (for defs 1, 2).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for darien
Sevigny grew up Darien, Connecticut, but would go into Manhattan on the weekends.Chloe Sevigny on ‘The Cosmopolitans,’ New York’s Frat Boy Takeover, and ‘Asshole’ Michael Alig
August 24, 2014
A Spaniard had been the first discoverer of the coast of Darien.The History of England from the Accession of James II.
Thomas Babington Macaulay
He then proceeded on as far as what is now known as the Gulf of Darien.Notable Voyagers
W.H.G. Kingston and Henry Frith
It is not certain that all the above were residents of Darien.
"'The purple peaks of Darien,'" she quoted, pouring me my coffee.The Window at the White Cat
Mary Roberts Rinehart
Nine years later he sailed to Darien with Enciso, and there remained.The Spanish Pioneers
Charles F. Lummis
- the E part of the Isthmus of Panama, between the Gulf of Darien on the Caribbean coast and the Gulf of San Miguel on the Pacific coast; chiefly within the republic of Panama but extending also into Colombia: site of a disastrous attempt to establish a Scottish colony in 1698
- Isthmus of Darien the former name of the Isthmus of Panama
Spanish name: Darién (daˈrjen)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012