- to remove the fuze from (a bomb, mine, etc.).
- to make less dangerous, tense, or embarrassing: to defuse a potentially ugly situation.
- to grow less dangerous; weaken.
Origin of defuse
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
sometimes US defuze
- to remove the triggering device of (a bomb, etc)
- to remove the cause of tension from (a crisis, etc)
Avoid confusion with diffuse
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for defuser
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper